Thursday, May 22, 2014

Book Review Katja from the Punk Band

Katja From the Punk Band

Paperback, 278 pages

Published March 30th 2010 by Chizine Publications

Fireball Award (Best Opening Line) (2010), Spinetingler Magazine Top Ten Thrillers/Crime (2010), Spinetingler Magazine Best New Voice Nominee

The idea behind this punk rock surreal/ bizarro noir crime novel is top notch high concept stuff. I was attracted to it because it’s obvious punk look. I didn’t read the plot and went in cold. The setting is a surreal “work” island. We open on a violent scene, Katja has killed someone. She rushes back her job where she is given a Vial, that is real valuable. There is a lot of violence involved with getting that vial back.

The novel has a non-liner timeline and is all over the place. It is well written but for some reason my mind wondered a lot while reading it. Katja is a great character, the setting is pretty strong but for some reason I can’t put my finger on the book struggled to keep my attention.

The back cover of the book describes it as Jackie Brown meets the Sex Pistols. As punk rock as the cover makes it sound I thought the setting could have been more punk. I wished Logan used more Punk references and images though out. It is certainly suggested but I felt too much was left up to our imagination.

Still I think it is worth a read. Logan is a heck of writer and I probably will check out the sequel.

No comments: