Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Movie Review: Sorcerer and the White Snake

Sorcerer and the White Snake

This was the movie I was most excited to see all year. I am a huge Jet Li fan in general, I loved most of his films made in China. I am also a huge fan of this movie’s director Ching Siu Tung who directed two of my all time favorite films Duel to the Death and A Chinese Ghost Story. As a director he has made several weird Kungfu movies not only the Chinese Ghost Story Trilogy but also weird ones like Witch from Nepal. Ching Siu Tung has not directed a movie in awhile, mostly directing fights notably in Zhang Zimou’s Hero and house of Flying Daggers.

This is a strange and goofy kungfu movie that I found to be pretty fun. It was not as good as the Chinese Ghost story movies but those are the closest comparison. Jet Li plays a monk fighting lots of CGI demons, snake demons and white fox demons. The bonus features on the DVD were my favorite part, getting to watch Ching Siu Tung and Jet Li work together.

Jet Li said this was his most tiring role to date because he had to hold back every punch against his opponents while they went all out on him. I laughed when one of the other actors said “I spent all day working on my moves Jet learned them in two minutes.”

No comments: